I like to explore and create. I spend most of my time studying how to realize artificial intelligence in physical and virtual environments. I graduated from the University of Chicago with B.S. in mathematics and B.A. in physics (both with honors). I am currently a PhD candidate at TTI-Chicago focusing on reinforcement learning (sequential decision making in an unknown environment). Professor Matthew Walter is my advisor.[my CV]
- Foundation of reinforcement learning (optimism, regret, safety)[2019b][2019c]
- Meaning and interpretation (semiotics, semantics, philosophy of language)[2019e]
- Social implications of machine learning technologies (algorithmic safeguards, human-centric objectives)[2019a]
- 3D computer vision (surface normals, geometric landmarks)[2019d][2016a]
- Language modeling (Chinese, glyph, summarization)[2019a]
- Dai FZ, Walter MR. Maximum Expected Hitting Cost of a Markov Decision Process and Informativeness of Rewards. Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS), 2019.[paper][poster]
- Dai FZ, Cai Z. Towards Near-imperceptible Steganographic Text. Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), 2019.[paper][talk][poster][code][nominated for best paper awards]
- Gehrmann S, Dai FZ, Elder H, Rush AM. End-to-End Content and Plan Selection for Natural Language Generation. International Conference on Natural Language Generation (INLG), 2018.[paper][code]
- Dai FZ, Cai Z. Glyph-aware Embedding of Chinese Characters. Subword and Character level models in NLP workshop at Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing conference (EMNLP), 2017.[paper][poster][code]
- Towle VL, Dai Z, Zheng W, Issa N. “Mapping Cortical Function with Event-Related Electrocorticography” in Functional Mapping of the Cerebral Cortex, ed. Richard W. Byrne. (Springer, 2016), 91-104.[chapter][book]
- Brang D, Dai Z, Zhang W, Towle VL. Registering Imaged ECoG Electrodes to Human Cortex: A Geometry-based Technique. Journal of neuroscience methods, 64-73. 2016.[paper][software]
- Brang D, Towle VL, Suzuki S, Hillyard SA, Di Tusa S, Dai Z, Wu S, Tao J, Grabowecky M. Peripheral sounds rapidly activate visual cortex: evidence from electrocorticography. Journal of Neurophysiology, 3023-3028. 2015.[paper]
- Towle VL, Minama Reddy GK, Dai Z, Zhang W, Brang D, Hunter S, Kohrman MH, Marcucilli CJ, Tao J, Rossi MA, Frim DM, Byrne RW. Chasing Language Through the Brain: Three Successive Parallel Networks. Society for the Neurobiology of Language Conference, 2014.
- Dai FZ. Word2vec Conjecture and A Limitative Result. In submission, 2019.[manuscript available upon request]
- Dai FZ, Walter MR. Loop Estimators for Discounted Values in Markov Reward Processes. In submission, 2019.[manuscript available upon request]
- Vasiljevic I, Kolkin N, Zhang S, Luo R, Wang H, Dai FZ, Daniele AF, Mostajabi M, Basart S, Walter MR, Shakhnarovich G. DIODE: A Dense Indoor and Outdoor DEpth Dataset. In submission, 2019.[preprint][website]
- Electrocochleography (ECoG) electrode MR-CT registration: software.
- TwiThinks, a Twitter data analytics project that studies and visualizes Twitter data. Our realtime #ivoted (for Obama vs Romney) scoreboard received 20K+ hits on Election Day 2012. It was featured on MIT-CSAIL news.
- Once ranked 164th on Kaggle.
- Wikipedia Plus, a Chrome extension that enhances Wikipedia's user experience.
- 3D printing my MRI-scanned brain (reconstructed via Freesurfer): photo and mesh.
- My pre-2015 blog Substance.
- Focus, simulating focus+depth visual effect with CSS 3D transform and CSS filter.
- Volume Button, a 5-star Android app that replaces broken volume buttons by touch controls in the status bar accessible anywhere.